Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Monday I had the wonderful opportunity to go on the much coveted, 7th grade "Henry Ford Museum" end of the year field trip with my daughter, affectionately known as 'Bff'. This field trip is such a big deal, so many parents sign up to go that the teachers have to draw names. I lucked out! Woooohoooo!!
I chaperoned 6 girls through this very full museum. One of the girls fell behind...often. I can't remember how many times a during the day one of us asked, "Where is Zoe?" She was never too far behind, but still. These girls took pictures of EVERYTHING! They posed with everything. Of course, being the outrageously funny girls they are, they had to pose with every male statue in the building...and there was always one girl in the group pretending to kiss it. Emily. Each time I went to snap a photo, Emily would pucker up. I don't think there is a picture without her kissing something.
Managing six flighty girls was a bit chaotic, but I loved every moment of it. It was very interesting to see Bff interacting with her peers. What was more interesting was the society of this particular 7th grade class. All of these kids are friends. I asked the girls if there were any 'groups/cliques'? One very sweet and innocent girl responded, "What's a clique?" Perfect. Bff explained and the girls all agreed that there really weren't any. Everyone just kind of gets along. How wonderful is that? I have heard the school staff and parents talk about this class and how unique they are. I have to admit after spending time with them, watching them interact, I am thoroughly impressed. Not to say they are a perfect group of kids, but they have managed something special in the way they get along. Something I have not seen in middle school age children, especially the girls. Quite interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment